Hymen repair surgery or hymenoplasty involves suturing the remaining hymenal or creating a new membrane using tissue from the virginal wall or labia minora.
• Definition II.
Hymen repair (hymenoplasty) is the cosmetic repair, restoration or construction of a woman’s hymen, and is often requested by women for physical, psychological, or cultural reasons. Restoration of the hymen is also known as hymenoplasty or reorganization.
• Why is Hymen?
The hymen consists of human tissue which resembles a rival rubber washer that partially or completely covers the vaginal opening.
This ring-shaped membrane can be thin and flexible or thick and rigid. It begins to form while the female is still in the womb, usually beginning in about the fourth month of pregnancy.
• Hymen is not an impenetrable seal. If this were the case, there would be no portal for menstrual flow or healthy, normal vaginal combustion to leave the body.
• The first rupture of the hymen, regardless of the method, doesn’t always draw blood and is not always painful.
• Hymen has served as undeniable throughout history, positive proof of a woman’s purity and innocence, even in this age an intact hymn still indicates virginity, especially if there is the presence of blood upon the first penile penetration.
• Types of Hymen;
• impersonate hymen
In which the hymen fails to open up, blocking mainstream, blood and secretion from flowing out.
• Microperforate hymen
In which the hymen has a very small opening. The patient feels difficulty using tampons or having vaginal intercourse.
• Cribiform Hymen
In which the hymen has a very small opening, patients will be unable to use tampons or intercourse.
• Septate Hymen
It has a band of extra tissues middle, causing two small vaginal openings instead of one. Unable to use tampons and intercourse.
• Hymen Injury.
A torn or damaged hymen is not irrefutable confirmation of virginity loss by sexual activity. Depending on its rigidity, Helen’s injury can be caused by normal daily activities such as strenuous athletics, horseback or bicycle riding, a simple gynaecology examination with speculate or gloved finger insertion, or masturbation. Even placing a tampon into the vagina may rupture it.
• in some cases, a hymen may not be present at all, as approximately 1 in 1000 women are born without one.
• Hymen Repair;
Any torn skin around the edges of the hymen is gently and neatly cut away, after which the remaining tissue is stitched together, leaving a small opening. This restores the hymenal ring to normal size and shape.
• if there is not enough skin to restore the hymen or the hymen is nonexistent, the surgeon may create one, using either some of the body’s thin vaginal skin ( virginal mucosa) or synthetic tissue.
• A small blood supply may be added, either artificial or the patient’s own taken from a piece of the vaginal flap, thus simulating the traditional bleeding upon subsequent penetration.
• Repair or Surgery of Hymen;
The hymen restoration surgery is typically performed on an outpatient basis under local anaesthesia, and it takes around 30 to 60 minutes to complete. The procedure involves creating visions in the vaginal tissue to access the hymen, repairing or reconstructing the hymen, and closing the incisions with dissolvable stitches.
• Recovery Period ;
The recovery period after hymenoplasty is usually short and most patients can resume normal activities within a few days.
•Precautions / Looking after:
• Avoid strenuous exercise.
• Tempon use
• Sexual intercourse for several weeks.
• Complications ;
• Pain beyond moderate discomfort after three days
• Unusual or foul-smelling discharge.
• intense itching
• Abnormal bleeding